Chinese officials have today announced a $7.2bn trade deficit for March 2010, the first since a $2.3bn deficit in April 2004.
Yesterday, Yi Xiaozhun, vice-minister in the Chinese Ministry of Commerce had hinted that China is likely to announce a trade deficit for March.
But these are a good reason behind that: The growth of China's imports that is largely due to rising prices for commodities as well as the huge demand for raw materials to power China's economy. In the last few months China has been importing huge amounts of iron ore, copper, crude oil, coal and steel!
And whereas the US and European markets for Chinese goods are still weak, even though Chinese exports are recovering, they are not recovering, yet, as fast as China's imports are growing.
What is also noteworthy is that according to Mr. Yi Xiaozhun, China doesn't want a trade surplus or a trade deficit.
- ► 2018 (485)
- ► 2017 (67)
- ► 2016 (51)
- ► 2012 (265)
- ► 2011 (261)
- Business, socio-economic and competitiveness (syst...
- Back to basics for the US and the rest of the deve...
- Why a United States of Europe is needed
- Volcan Economics?
- Britain can lead the EU!
- Uniting catalysts?!
- Economic theories or economic dogmata?
- What a global economy needs!
- Kein taboo?
- What citizens (in the UK and other countries) "des...
- What (really) makes the world go round?
- BRICs: 41% of world population
- Brainstorming on EU + USA
- Do you know your European History?
- How ambituous is more ambitious in Doha, WTO, worl...
- I agree M. Lamy! Let the public debate commence no...
- February US trade balances in goods and services
- EU trade surplus with the US in goods
- US trade balance stats for February 2010
- The value of primary education in life and career
- Large rise in China's imports behind trade deficit...
- Have the world and our lives become too financial?...
- Redefining what makes a market free
- EU and Eurozone GDP in Q4 of 2009 (Eurostat 2nd es...
- The Local, National, Regional, Global confusion! (...
- Some thoughts on economic and policy dynamics
- What is really a "Free Market"? Beyond myths and s...
- The (overlooked?) importance of market access in w...
- Each type of economic activity - "industry" has it...
- The beauty of football (soccer), business and poli...
- Beyond the national vs global debate
- On voices, mouths and national and EU "interest"
- On economic and political governance
- ▼ April 2010 (33)
- ► 2009 (688)
- ► 2007 (23)
- ► 2006 (7)