While NAFTA is rather a "fail" and the EU is gazing at its navel, UNASUR, the African Union, the ASEAN and China, the Trans-Pacific Partnership seem to be moving forward in regional systemics.
Specifically, while the EU is suffering from Euro and xenophobia induced identity crisis, South American Integration seems to be progressing! UNASUR, which will merge Mercosur and the Andean Community (CAN) into an EU type of entity for South America selected its first Secretary General, the former president of Argentina, Nestor Kirchner, on May 4 (2010, for more on this see eg BBC News report).
In addition, the Paraguayan President Fernando Lugo has made a passionate appeal to his country's Congress (June 26) to overcome their concerns and approve the entry of Venezuela in Mercosur (Mercosur's energy (oil) autarky will benefit from Venezuela's power in oil). Paraguay being the only Mercosur member that has not adopted Venezuela's candidacy (for more see "Lugo Calls for Venezuela’s Entry into Mercosur" in Americas Quarterly)
Note: In November 2005, a few weeks before the failed Hong Kong WTO Ministerial meeting for the Doha Round of world trade talks, George Bush failed to rally the countries of the Americas (Mar del Plata meet) for an FTA (free trade area) of the Americas. Probably, for the best, ex post facto, of all parties concerned (given eg the fate of NAFTA and the Democrats and others' stance re US international trade agreements these days)
- ► 2018 (525)
- ► 2017 (67)
- ► 2016 (51)
- ► 2012 (265)
- ► 2011 (261)
- Regional Systemics: South America is moving forwar...
- The just-in-time and #outsourcing effects on our w...
- Globalisation? What globalisation? More like a fig...
- Who is afraid of a truly united Europe?
- 2010: A sad state of governing dynamics
- Does the EU (Brussels and member states) have the ...
- My views on elements of a new #competitiveness mod...
- 18 thoughts (and 562 words) re EUrope's interest
- Flash from the past (Sept. 2007): "What's holding ...
- A key difference between the 20th and 21st centuri...
- Agorocracy and Democracy (vlog)
- The limits of mono-variable analysis
- Various Thoughts on EU, US and other affairs, June...
- Economic, Philosophical and Political Contagion an...
- ▼ June 2010 (14)
- ► 2009 (688)
- ► 2007 (23)
- ► 2006 (7)