According to Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union:
Inflation in December 2009:
1) annual inflation was 1.4% up 0.4 from 1.0% in November.
In December 2008 the rate was 2.2%.
2) Monthly inflation in December '09 was 0.2%
The annual average rate of inflation in 2009 was 1.0%, down from 3.7% in 2008.
1) annual inflation was 0.9%, up 0.4 from 0.5% in November.
A year earlier the rate was 1.6%.
Monthly inflation was 0.3% in December 2009.
The annual average rate of inflation in 2009 was 0.3%, down from 3.3% in 2008.
In December 2009, the lowest annual rates were observed in Ireland (-2.6%), Estonia (-1.9%) and Latvia (-1.4%), and the highest in Hungary (5.4%), Romania (4.7%) and Poland (3.8%). Compared with November 2009, annual inflation rose in twenty Member States, remained stable in four and fell in two.
The lowest 12-month averages up to December 2009 were registered in Ireland (-1.7%), Portugal (-0.9%) and Spain (-0.3%), and the highest in Romania (5.6%), Lithuania (4.2%), Hungary and Poland (both 4.0%).
Analysis by product category in Eurozone:
The main components with the highest annual rates in December 2009 were alcohol & tobacco (4.8%), transport (3.5%) and miscellaneous goods & services (2.4%) , while the lowest annual rates were observed for food (-1.3%), communications (-0.8%) and housing (-0.3%) . Concerning the detailed sub-indices, fuels for transport (+0.42 percentage points) and tobacco (+0.13) had the largest upward impacts on the headline rate, while gas (-0.33) and cars (-0.10) had the biggest downward impacts.
The main components with the highest monthly rates were recreation & culture (2.0%) and hotels & restaurants (1.0%), while the lowest were clothing (-0.5%) and communications (-0.2%) . In particular, package holidays (+0.18 percentage points) and accommodation services (+0.08) had t he largest upward impacts, while fuels for transport and garments (-0.05 each) had the biggest downward impacts.
- ► 2018 (485)
- ► 2017 (67)
- ► 2016 (51)
- ► 2012 (265)
- ► 2011 (261)
- Wealth of a Salesman
- More on a "rethink of capitalism": The purpose of ...
- Obama's Catch 22?
- US Q4 2009 GDP rose a lot but ....
- EU social policy to pick up pace?
- The future of "work"
- Back to Europe's roots?
- Constraints? For whom? By whom?
- US economy and jobs: A new socio-economic model wo...
- On a major rethink of capitalism, moral trade, Dav...
- Some comments on Obama's State of the Union Speech...
- Global Warming, World Affairs, the EU, the US and ...
- ILO says global unemployed reached 212 million in ...
- IMF ups its expectation for 2010 global growth to ...
- Industrial new orders in November 2009 in the EU ...
- UK: The seasonally adjusted Index of Services in N...
- UK out of recession in Q4 2009 but just barely (+0...
- Friends with Benefits vs F.... Buddies!
- UK: December retail sales only slightly up
- The effects of US immigration policy on its world ...
- Good news for UK exports!
- Policy related oxymora!
- Ponder on those modern oxymora!
- Realise this!
- The materialism Trap
- Happiness: For an intellectual and physically fulf...
- How philosophised; are you?
- US Trade Statistics for August 2009 and Jan-Aug 20...
- Seasons Of Years
- What is Love?
- Euro interest rate by ECB stable
- U.S. retail and food services sales for December 2...
- US Trade balance in November 2009
- US inflation (CPI) in 2009
- US CPI for December 2009
- EU and Eurozone industrial production up in Novemb...
- EU Trade results for January-October 2009
- EU and Eurozone trade balance stats for November 2...
- My comments in the public consultation on the futu...
- EU and Eurozone inflation up in December 2009
- lifestyle - living 2010+: Less materialist .....
- Commissioner designate for Employment, Social Affa...
- Knights and Days
- US: How to go from 76 to 48% in 12 months
- Trade Policy plans of the EU Trade Commissioner de...
- More thoughts on the EU's linguistic issue and the...
- English in the EU
- Bank of England keeps interest rate at 0.5%
- Chinese exports rebound, +17.7%, in December 2009
- A crucial economic policy dilemma
- Who/what owns what/whom?
- On building Britain's future economy: Excerpts and...
- US economy lost 85,000 jobs in December
- The status of the US healthcare reform
- German trade balance in November 2009
- Key achievements of the horizontal European Social...
- Eurozone Business Climate Indicator further improv...
- Q3 GDP up in the EU and its Eurozone
- November unemployment rates up in EU and Eurozone!...
- Economic Sentiment Indicator up in December for EU...
- EU and Eurozone retail trade volumes in November
- Our obsession with certainty?
- EU Commissioners designate written answers No. 4 a...
- Improved transparency and predictability of procee...
- Eurostat statistics re the EU's hotels and restaur...
- Industrial producer prices in November in the Euro...
- October 2009 industrial new orders in the Eurozone...
- Smarts or Wisdom?
- EU market for international passenger rail transpo...
- 0.9% Eurozone annual inflation in December (initia...
- US: Living on food stamps and 2010 socio-economic ...
- Daring to ask!
- "Vagabonding" or "Fortress Building"?
- Simplify, rationalise, economise?
- The Lion and the Bird
- Does wealth "buy" Freedom?
- Carpe Diem
- Homelessness, Vagabonding and Capitalism
- The value and appreciation of intelligence
- Advancement: Back to the Basics?
- Self and world "awareness and crisis management
- Old, Modern and Emerging Capitalisms!
- In 2010
- Questionning the status quo in world trade and glo...
- The EU's rotating Presidency of the Council post L...
- ▼ January 2010 (87)
- ► 2009 (688)
- ► 2007 (23)
- ► 2006 (7)