2.5 years ago, on May 3, 2007, I was asking:
Has a "British Dream" replaced the "American Dream"?
The Sunday Times had published a Rich List 2007, in which four of Britain's top five richest people were not born in the UK!
Has the UK replaced the US as the "land of opportunities", I was wondering, in May 2007.
Now, September 2009, one can still ask the question. But as far as the post-crisis economics are concerned, right?
American Dream and Scandic Reality?
Business/entrepreneurship is the most suppressed form of personal expression in the world today I was proposing back in Match 13, 2007!
A society where a child, irrespective of his/her or his/her parents background can realistically dream of starting and surviving a business (even very small) is not only economically, but also socially "libertarian"-liberal-free one!
In view of 2007 world rankings of economies and countries, one could speak of an "American Dream" but also of a "Danish, Swedish and Finnish Reality" (since those countries rank in top spots in competitiveness and other rankings, way above the USA, UK, France, Germany, Japan, China, India, etc).
Recent ranking by the Global Competitiveness Report of the World Economic Forum show that the Scandic reality is alive and kicking even in these economic crisis days.
- ► 2018 (485)
- ► 2017 (67)
- ► 2016 (51)
- ► 2012 (265)
- ► 2011 (261)
- ► 2010 (248)
- Survival in Globalia Version 1.0
- Eurozone deflation again in September
- Revised US GDP figure for Q2 2009
- Revised UK GDP and other data for Q2 2009
- Sleepless in Globalia Version 3.0
- a "centrist" worldview
- key causes of global volatility
- some thoughts on decision making
- "citizen friendly" countries
- On free markets and free trade
- existing vs. real globalization
- socio-economic modeling (USA, UK, etc)
- US consumer confidence
- How I define "fair trade"
- How I define "fair trade"
- Is the world too big to be someone's "village"?
- The outsourcing effect: What is a "good" and what ...
- Towards a more "confident" or a more "rational" EU...
- Warp Speed
- American and British Dreams and Scandic Reality
- For better global balance of capital, goods, servi...
- The US: "turning" or hype?
- Policy for business, innovation and skills
- How many countries have a dept. for better regulat...
- German election results, liberal dems and tax poli...
- Did the end of the economic world as we knew it ha...
- How many Europeans want to be ... EUropeans?
- Europe, with or without the EU (ie in any case) ne...
- G20 summit comments - critique - much ado about l...
- Knights and Days
- Perennial Nobility
- G20, WTO, etc etc: Who represents whom at what?
- When will the EU ......
- EU Social DIalogue and Social Partners
- Civil Society, then and now!
- the natural prospensity to (over) legislate and it...
- federalist prototypes?
- subdiarity and proportionality
- a globalization that works for the small companies...
- the effects of over-regulation on SMEs
- National sovereingty in 2009 terms
- a deeper EU in some taxation matters?
- Balancing the individual and the collective
- what suffocates small companies and start-ups
- are the new EU regulatory proposals realistic?
- A solar, windy and intellectual EU?
- European Commission President re-elected
- Trans-Atlantic cooperation and the scenario of a U...
- Socio-economic modeling in a meta-industrial Servi...
- the contribution of Financial Services in national...
- the main real problem of SMEs
- on embracing risk (UK)
- simplicity in taxation policy
- Beautiful days Stormy nights
- Homeless alone at home in Terminal C
- real policies for helping SMEs
- on entrepreneurship, success, needs and wants and ...
- Upcoming G20
- My Pop Art
- in a truly capitalist and free market world ....
- capping corporate bonuses to be discussed by the G...
- need for a "new" EU?
- competitiveness a) the value of education b) US an...
- on the value of Logic in life and in decisions
- on Philosophy, Tweetering and "Laconising"
- on Philosophy in 2010: I am therefore I think?
- Sparta or Athens?
- from city states all the way to ...?
- on taxation policy (various issues)
- UK gov net debt now 57.5% of GDP!
- Free Trade Areas problems (NAFTA, EU, etc)
- revamping our way of life
- The "buy American" backfire and ther WTO trade con...
- UK unemployment in May-July
- Key elements to happiness
- Simplify and Rationalize for happiness
- the trouble with many famous quotes
- OECD employment stats and projections
- The intellectual economy
- The price of social responsibility
- UK retail sales in August: 2 bad news
- US inflation in August
- US Current Account in Q2 2009
- Eurozone's trade balance, Jan. - July 2009
- Change for the sake of Change?
- Bureaucracy in Europe/the EU and the USA
- USA - EU similarities and differences
- hope vs optimism - economics vs physics
- The Eurozone economy in Q3
- towards trade "wars"?
- Changes and Habits
- the competitive advantage of being human!!!
- when the going gets tough ...
- What is the most important "asset" in life?
- more or better regulations?
- ah those Basics, where are they?
- Life in 2009: Back (forward) to the Basics? Body a...
- Economics is not Physics thus ...
- some thoughts re our lifestyles in 2009
- ▼ September 2009 (169)
- ► 2007 (23)
- ► 2006 (7)