The latest piece of biz news from Hollywood, Disney film boss Rich Ross resigns after John Carter flop, reminds me of a report I must have read or heard, I think it was BBC Worldservice, some 10 years ago but has resided in my mind ever since.
Only one out of 10 films a Hollywood studio produces makes it bog.
Maybe 3-4 others make a profiit
The rest lose money, one of them a lot.
The 1 out of ten though makes or has to make enough money to also cover for all the losing ones!
I like the movie business, when a kid I wanted to study film at UCLA and go to Hollywood. Was not meant to be, because I considered the odds of success vs the cost of college to my parents, Anyway
It's about risk and return, both expected (risk and return) and real, the ex past facto.
That type of risk the average .man, woman or household does not fancy taking. Wants an as stable as possible life,, an environment to have and bring up kids.
Some, the "knights" are willing to live lives of more risk. For the expectation of extra return or some, for the thrills. Some because of the nature of many times of business, venturing or even trying. But those who take the risks should be the ones who incur the costs when the project turns sour, not the average people.
Knights in suits. Once upon a time, wearing a suit meant something. Especially a dark grey one. For years now that is not the case. That is why I have not worn one in years.
My point is: Should more (employees, managers, stakeholders, media, et al) realise that doing business in many sectors nowadays is like in the movies (ie they are like film studios)?
- December (16)
- November (24)
- October (24)
- September (21)
- August (33)
- July (10)
- June (12)
- May (19)
- Which is more important for Europe's anti-austerit...
- The biggest barrier to European political union is...
- Will the Fiscal Compact self-destruct?
- Want EU and Eurozone growth? Then ...
- What can European integration learn ...
- The morning after April 22: EU27 politics: If, the...
- Good houskeeping, the European social democratic w...
- Is the UK the "Austria" of European unification (i...
- On enterprise and legal certainty in the 2012 worl...
- Like in the movies
- A shift in the dynamics of austerity?
- Sacrifices in 2012
- Who's the Boss?
- EU issues: Balance?
- What would the world today be like if ...
- To provide real leadership in the EU and EZ, Germa...
- From Mar del Plata to Cartagena.
- Prussia after German unification vs Germany after ...
- The EU will not be a democracy until ..
- Time for EUropeans to get their act together and ...
- From Remember Doha to Europe after May 6
- Never mind Social Media and Finance. The value of ...
- May 6: Europe's Super Sunday?
- EU's Fringe?
- The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Merkelism
- Eurozone: Cheap money, what cheap money?
- Wave goodbye to the Western Way of Life? But which...
- From the center or from the fringe?
- BRICs, Brazil, UNASUR and the WTO
- The return to reality
- March (39)
- February (23)
- January (12)
- December (8)
- November (5)
- October (14)
- September (19)
- August (40)
- July (35)
- June (43)
- May (37)
- April (20)
- March (19)
- February (7)
- January (13)
- December (1)
- November (12)
- October (2)
- September (8)
- August (4)
- July (19)
- June (14)
- May (14)
- April (33)
- March (37)
- February (16)
- January (87)
- December (81)
- November (38)
- October (103)
- September (167)
- August (135)
- July (54)
- June (62)
- May (36)
- April (3)
- March (1)
- February (2)
- January (4)