In the Netherlands, the VVD part is a member of a very "conservative" government coalition between CDA-VVD with the support of the PVV. Some argue its the most conservative government in the Netherlands in 60 years.
The UK's Liberal Democrats are also in a coalition government in the UK (albeit without UKIP or BNP support).
In the Netherlands though there is another liberal democrat party, D66. Both VVD and D66 are members of ELDR and ALDE. So are the Liberal Democrats.
Which brings me to following thoughts:
The future of the UK's Liberal Democrats? The Dutch analogy-case.
There are 2 parties in the Netherlands that are members of the ELDR and ALDE: VVD and D66
The D66 (in its former name, Liberal Democratic Centre) spun off from the VVD, in 1962, formally in 1966 (hence the 66 in the D66).
The VVD was founded in 1948 and were joined by the Comité-Oud, a group of liberal members of the Labour Party (PvdA), led by Pieter Oud.
So the formation of the VVD resembles that of the UK Liberal Democrats by a merger of the Liberals and the SDP (which had spun off from Labour a few years earlier)!
In view of the cgov oalition of the LibDems with the Tories which was against what the grassroots of the partu wanted, maybe a split as in NL (in 1962/1966) is in the cards (of fate) for the LibDems too. Maybe. Maybe not. Only food for thought (call it an intellectual exercise if it makes you feel better about it).
- December (16)
- November (24)
- October (24)
- September (21)
- August (33)
- July (10)
- June (12)
- May (19)
- April (33)
- March (39)
- What are the "Wooden Walls" that will save the Eur...
- Can the modern Europeans succeed where the Ancient...
- Which is the most "conservative" government or gov...
- Chatsworth Estate vs. trailer park vs. the Eurozon...
- People in glass economies should not ....
- The political situation in Europe is sad but in th...
- What Greece really needed was ...
- Germany's coalitions "boutique": "Traffic Light:, ...
- The CDU/CSU-FDP way vs the Tory-Eurosceptics way i...
- An emerging symbol of inspiration for the progress...
- To export products and services to a "foreign" mar...
- Still stuck in the industrial age
- Instead of the UK arguing for fewer EU laws and mo...
- Since Germany relies 59% on the EU for its exports...
- A free trade area is not the same thing as a Singl...
- Real EU pluralism will come out of ....
- If GDP per capita in USA, EU, China, India was to ...
- Kiss the European Social Model goodbye!
- The German people need and deserve ...
- Germany 2012 AD - Athens 470 BC
- Instead of the EU using its 500,000,000 Internal M...
- Instead of Merkel soliciting money from China ...
- Liberal democracy in the UK and the Netherlands - ...
- January (12)
- December (8)
- November (5)
- October (14)
- September (19)
- August (40)
- July (35)
- June (43)
- May (37)
- April (20)
- March (19)
- February (7)
- January (13)
- December (1)
- November (12)
- October (2)
- September (8)
- August (4)
- July (19)
- June (14)
- May (14)
- April (33)
- March (37)
- February (16)
- January (87)
- December (81)
- November (38)
- October (103)
- September (167)
- August (135)
- July (54)
- June (62)
- May (36)
- April (3)
- March (1)
- February (2)
- January (4)