The strategic mistake of Alexander the Great was that instead of uniting the 200+ Greek city-states into a permanent federal union, a kind of United City States of Greece, he decided to unite the world that was then known to him. and beyond
He thus embarked on a grand campaign that united Greece, Asia Minor, Egypt, creating a marvelous melting pot ("Hellenistic Times") and then some, continuing like a Cpt Kirk to uncharted territory, running out of steam and dying without ever returning home!
An epic of course. But what he left behind was a globalization of sorts (see my post "Globalisation, today and in 300 BC") that lasted for a while. But was not sustainable. Had he focused on uniting the 200+ Greek city states into a permanent entity, History could have been quite different (especially that of Rome).
Lessons for 2011 Europe?
- December (16)
- November (24)
- October (24)
- September (21)
- August (33)
- July (10)
- June (12)
- May (19)
- April (33)
- March (39)
- February (23)
- January (12)
- December (8)
- November (5)
- October (14)
- September (19)
- How bad public policy destroys growth and jobs
- Show me your consumers and then I will show you mi...
- Thoughts on the current state of the EU: Alexande...
- Thoughts on the current state of the EU: trailer p...
- Competition, pricing, inflation, interest rates an...
- Cassandran Economy
- Reminder:: Economics is a social science
- The appeal of economic developments
- Merkel, CDU, Obama. East Asian Tigers, leadership,...
- The Achilles Heels of "Western Civilisation"?
- The TOS stu....! Fewer rules and better rules!
- Entrepreneurship in Europe
- Wotk in the present and future
- The present and future of work
- Germany: Where is the grand coalition government o...
- Euro: Reality and realities and other global dyna...
- The real reality of the realities re the Eurozone
- Which competitions do you watch? Barca vs Real or ...
- The American Dream: Employee, Corporate Executive ...
- Marketing analysis for the npthinking tweeting and...
- The new capital? How and for whom?
- Strategy: The relevant market(s)
- Global animal financial farm
- Which is the biggest market for Chinese goods (and...
- Contagion is contagious too!
- Analyse this!
- EU & USA: The right policies can come from the cen...
- Does the Eurozone need a new central bank (part 2)...
- Should we push the reset button on economic and p...
- There are no golden rules in Strategy and in Manag...
- The sensitive warrior
- The Winds of Globalization
- Is it time to consider the unthinkable? Nationalis...
- being Euro-niche?
- Multiculturalism as a competitive advantage
- World Dynamics: The effects of just-in-time and ou...
- Waiting for the dawn of ... (Dum spiro spero)
- World and European dynamics: 20 years later ....
- Euro Systemics: Remember that December (1991 and 2...
- Why does the ECB need to keep its rates higher tha...
- July (35)
- June (43)
- May (37)
- April (20)
- March (19)
- February (7)
- January (13)
- December (1)
- November (12)
- October (2)
- September (8)
- August (4)
- July (19)
- June (14)
- May (14)
- April (33)
- March (37)
- February (16)
- January (87)
- December (81)
- November (38)
- October (103)
- September (167)
- August (135)
- July (54)
- June (62)
- May (36)
- April (3)
- March (1)
- February (2)
- January (4)