Friday, May 26, 2017

Alexander or Diogenes? CEO or a homeless man?

It is said that when Alexander (the then Great) visited Athens and its Acropolis and had the encounter with Diogenes (who lived in a barrel), he exclaimed:

"If I was not Alexander I would like to be Diogenes".

In recent years, I have asked many people, mostly Greeks, why he said that. As a test. No one has provided a reply.

It is even more surprising because I have asked it in the epoch of crisis Greece.

It is so simple. A real leader admired and somewhat envied a homeless man who needed nothing.

I became almost homeless after 2012 in crisis Greece. I knew the reply before that. But now I know it even better.

"Freedom is just another word for nothing else to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

When you can live/survive with almost nothing then you can claim (compete for) everything, I say.
When you can be Diogenes then you can become Alexander too. And vice-versa. Some do not get it and maybe they never will.

Why? Keep reading npthinking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there,

Feel free to comment.
Only suitable comments will be posted.
In EN, FR, GR, D, IT, SP, NL only (Use Google Translate otherwise SVP).

Thanks.
BRs
Nick

Share/Bookmark