Monday, April 17, 2017

A view from the Bosporus

My father had visited Istanbul in 1960. I visited the city twice on stopover on my way to my wife's country in 2014. Took a bus from the airport and got off near the Bosporus.

When I faced the Bosporus I felt a big chill. I marveled at a cosmopolis that joins Asia and Europe. Wow. What a feeling. The people were diverse and friendly. Drank tea on the boat crossing sitting next to a Dutch woman.

For any Greek, Constantinople carries special significance. I felt at home, strangely. Strolled around the city for a few hours, it was a bank holiday and wound up eating kebab and chatting with a Syrian waiter and Turkish clients in Besiktas before going back to the airport to catch my flight.

On the bus, my card ran out of credits. A Turkish woman used hers to pay for me and refused to get reimbursed. 

After all that, what can I say. 

Well, Greece has always been suspicious of Turkish aims and with good cause. Greece was occupied for a few centuries.

But there is not much separating Turks and Greeks after all. We are both at the crossroads of three continents. 

To be honest, Turkey's current political/institutional problems are a great opportunity for Greece to attract global corporate business away from Istanbul. Coupled with Brexit, this is a great business opportunity for Greece.

I have met young Turks who work in Athens and it was a pleasure. I hope that Turkey finds its way into the future, it deserves it. Everyone does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there,

Feel free to comment.
Only suitable comments will be posted.
In EN, FR, GR, D, IT, SP, NL only (Use Google Translate otherwise SVP).

Thanks.
BRs
Nick

Share/Bookmark